Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chicken Cat Jerky Treats - Update

My prayers go out to all those in need or have lost in the recent Storm.

So on to the Home Made Chicken Jerky Treats Update. 

The local grocery had Chicken Thighs on sale for ninety nine cents a pound. A nice discount so we got some packages.

Here is the simple recipe: 

  • Strip skin and fat from 4lbs. chicken.
  • Place in Pyrex or other type pan.
  • Add a bit of water to cover the bottom of the pan.
  • Bake at 325 for 45 minutes or till done.
  •  Drain liquid and skim fat. Dispose of the fat. Save liquid.
  • Cool chicken and strip off the bone. 
  • Grind with course plate. 
  • Add 1 cup liquid back in.
  • Grind with medium plate.
  • Chicken should have a cookie dough consistency. If not very smooth you may need to send it through again. 
  • Load Jerky Gun and put on trays.
  • Dry at 180F for approximately 5-6 hours
  • Store in an airtight container.
  • Sprinkle with Forte Flora or Cat-Mint (Optional)
This recipe made 5 trays of jerky.


Yes this is 4 pounds of chicken with bone and skin removed

This batch was nice and crispy.  To top off this batch I sprinkled some Forte Flora over them. Yummy. All the cats like them.

They should stay fresh for a  bit of time. I think it best to keep a few days out with the rest in the refrigerator or freezer. When there is more info on how they keep long term I will post it. They do not seem to last long enough to find out. A good thing

I no longer feel guilty about feeding my cats kibble or other treats with cereal. They get Pure Chicken Jerky Cat Treats! If you are interested here is the link to Amazon.

Nesco American Harvest Food Dehydrator

The kit is really complete and easy to use. Now that I have one I think it is a great addition to the kitchen. You can dry all kinds of things and even do flowers and the like for crafts. A very neat thing to have. And It comes with some jerky mix.

Now I have not been an aficionado of jerky besides the odd Slim-Jim eaten when younger. As the first trial I did do a pound of lean ground beef. It looks like in the store. I think it is MUCH better. Less fat. I bite off an inch or less and just kind of suck out the flavor and then chew it up. It last a long time. Much better than candy. It does have a bit of additive in it. Something to watch if you are on a restriction of one kind or another. 

So that is it for my plugging jerky and dehydration. For today.

Be kind to yourself and your cats.
Love you all.
Pete (AKA Pops)

No comments:

Post a Comment